Saturday, May 19, 2012

New format starting today

Starting today I am going to only commit to two scheduled posts a week.

The scheduled posts will be on Saturdays and Tuesdays.  So today is the first one.

I told you yesterday that I met with the volunteer coordinator at the center earlier this week.  Tina actually called the meeting and I wasn't sure why, but I was happy to go and spend a few minutes to find out why.

First Tina thanked us for all of our hard work, and was truly amazed at what we have accomplished so far.  A good many of those quilts are already on the beds at the center.

The second reason she asked to see me was so I could fill out paper work for a back ground check.  Although there is no reason for it....this one gave me a little jolt of "what?"  The Center takes confidentiality very seriously....and when I am delivering quilts there is the possibility that I could come into contact (ever so briefly) with one of the residents....so for that reason they need to have the information for the back ground check.  That reminds me I still need to send three character witnesses.... anyone want to be one?  

The real reason I am even telling you this is because the center is wanting me to coordinate drop offs for the group.  They are trying to limit the traffic at the center and I totally understand, and hope you do also.  So if you are wanting to donate, please do it through me.  That way I can get a label on the quilt and we can keep the traffic down at the center.  I also understand that you may want a receipt for your donation, if you do check out the tabs at the top of the page.  Click on the IRS tab, download that form and fill in the information and pin it to the quilt.  When I deliver the quilts I will also deliver that form to the center, they will sign off on it and mail it back to you.  Remember you only have to do that if you are wanting the receipt for your income taxes.

Lastly and probably the most important reason for my visit was that Tina had an idea. She recently was at a conference with law enforcement and they talked about what happens when law enforcement removes a child from a home, specifically from a drug house.  The child is not allowed to take anything from the house, no clothes no toys ......nothing.....because those things are probably contaminated with drug residue.

Tina asked if we would consider making "Hope Quilts" these quilts would be given to children by local law enforcement at the time of removal so they have something to hold on to give them comfort.  Although it is still in planning stages, I think it mirrors with my original goal for Iowa Comfort.  To start out with, we would be supplying Dallas and Madison County law enforcement.  If we can help out other counties we will. 

I have added a new tab at the top that reads "Hope Quilts".  The guide lines for these quilts will be posted there.  I have had several people ask about making kids quilts in the past, I even have a few panels out for kids quilts.

I'm sure we can get some kits made up as soon as we reschedule the community day... hope life slows down for me soon so I can get that day on the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment