Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Gifts from Wanda

A couple of weeks ago while I was at Open Sew, Wanda H wandered over and asked me the question I get asked more than any other question.  "Do you have certain requirements for your quilt donations?"  The answer to that question is NO I can find the appropriate home for any and all quilts that are donated to Iowa Comfort.

Wanda told me that she had recently surveyed her quilts at home, and she had a few that needed to find new homes.  Now at the time I thought we were talking quilt tops....but I was PLEASANTLY surprised when I found out they were completed quilts!  

By the way while I am thinking about it, thank you Celia for accepting these quilts for me on the second day of Open Sew, and delivering them to me at our quilt meeting.  I really appreciate it.

Each and everyone of these quilts were different, and I loved them all.  Take a look.

 The first quilt is a jelly roll quilt, in deep and rich colors.  A wonderful way to use up those end pieces of yardage from previous projects.


I sat and stared at this quilt for quite some time.  It reminded me of a quilt that I might find on Bonnie Hunters blog. Scrappy four patches and half square triangle units.  And I love it!  And I am a little ashamed to tell you it took me longer than it should have to figure out the pattern.  I was trying to hard, depending on which section I was looking at....I would see a different pattern.  Those are really my favorite types of quilts! 

Isn't this quilt darling! Funny thing about this quilt is that even though it is predominately blue, brown and white.  The quilt reads little girl to me....not little boy.  Which is perfectly okay because we have a need for both. Maybe it reads girl to me because of the pink star burst in the brown fabric.... I don't know.  It was just odd that it struck me that way..... but then again it could just be me.


I really like this quilt also! Another scrappy quilt, this one is alternating 4 patches and rail fences with sashing. I love the randomness of the color placement, and the fact that the rail fence blocks are not uniform in size.  What ever size the strip so be it.  I have drawn a pattern up of this quilt...  and I can see it being used in future quilts to use up some of my scraps.

Thank you so much Wanda for donating these quilts to Iowa Comfort.  They will be delivered on my next delivery which should be mid February.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!  See you all on Saturday.


1 comment: