Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Longarm is loaded.

Yesterday afternoon I spent part of the afternoon prepping a quilt for today.  Many times I load a quilt the day before I actually plan to quilt it.  Do all of the little things like measure the top and check the seams, cut batting or backing.  I also get the label on the backing prior to basting the top and batting to the backing material. I wind how ever many bobbins I think I will need, you get the picture all of the prep work one day, and then the quilting the next day.

Today I hope to quilt this top.


This quilt top found its way to Iowa Comfort because Dottie is unable to quilt anymore due to health concerns. This top was all hand pieced! 

Dottie will be turning 91 in September, but was an avid quilter for a very long time.  Her family sent me an email that she has over 60 quilts in her closet that are completed.... THAT IS A QUILTER!

I quilt my donated tops in the order I received them, and I am ashamed to say that I have had this one (and the rest of the donation) since the end of February!  That is just to long..... which is what brings me to the rest of this post.

I am feeling overwhelmed right now because I am so far behind, and so unorganized.  And yes I know I have had offers of help, and I appreciate it...but right now I am fairly paralyzed from being from the donations.  Circle of Friends will help with getting the fabric donations organized in October. (THANK YOU!)  But there is still so much! 

I know that I won't get caught up in the next few months, because we are going into Christmas season. My customer quilts will pick up. 

The only way I know to relieve my feelings of guilt and overwhelm is to not accept any donations until I get caught up. I have quite a backlog of quilt tops right now so I probably have enough for all of next year.  

I am going to slow down a little next year.  I think that next year I am going to pace myself at 2 (or three if they are smaller quilts) a month. I want to get back to piecing tops, something I haven't been able to do for a while now. I also want to be guilt free when I choose to do my genealogy, or travel.  

I'm not sure at that pace if I will have material for two blog posts a week.... I'll just have to figure that out as I go.

Well I guess I need to get to the quilt room to start quilting that quilt.  Nancy H has volunteered to bind it for me, and I am going to take her up on it. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment