Tuesday, March 5, 2013

More donated quilts

Back to show n tell.  I am going to show you three more quilts from that bag that I collected at Circle of Friends a couple of weeks ago.

But before I do I want you to know that I will show you the pictures from the community sew day, next week.  Since I will be gone to California I am writing these posts in advance and scheduling them to post automatically.

Back to show n tell.  Remember this bag?

Deb Y brought it to me.  She knew a quilter who became ill and was no longer able to do any quilting at all.  The quilter donated all of her supplies and fabric and asked Deb to find new homes for them... which she did.  Lucky for us Deb donated the finished tops to Iowa Comfort.

I showed you the Hexie quilt a week ago.  Let me show you the next three out of that bag, now.

This quilt is at least a double...almost a queen.  Talk about scrappy! I love how it is a nine patch, but with four patches within the nine patch.  I don't think I had ever seen one like it before.  I see a quilt like this and remember that way back in the day, quilters used what they had... and they didn't let one scrap of fabric slip away unused.  This quilt will need a little TLC before it makes it to the longarm.  It has some seams to repair...and in need of some time with an iron.  I think I will quilt it with pink thread in meandering loops.  Maybe a different design, but I'm sure I will keep it fairly simple.

How fun is this quilt.  Rows of barns paper pieced and sashed together.  I haven't found two identical barns yet.  I thought it was really fun that the barn doors faced different directions.  I am sure that I would have had to do a lot of frogging to complete that design.  
 This is the last one I will show you today.  I really like this quilt.  I think it is because it is such a simple design.  But I am not sure how I am going to quilt it. That center block, and all the corner  stone blocks have THICK hand stitching to create those designs.  I think it is called a Crewel stitch.  I have been known to stitch threw an embroidery design.... but this one gives me pause.  I might have to wait for the next upgrade for Fonzie.   That upgrade should allow me to set an area for the machine to stay out of.  I am seeing a feather design......

Well that is it for today.  I'll show you the last three quilts from that bag on Saturday.

Enjoy your week everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment