Tuesday, March 12, 2013

moments from the community sew day

First off I want to once again thank everyone who came out to help with the community sew day!  We had an awesome turn out once again, and so very much was accomplished.

That being said, I can't even tell you what was all accomplished because kits were taken home to finish.  Finished quilt tops were gobbled up to be taken home to quilt.  People were making arrangements to bind tops.... my head was spinning!  And anyone that knows me knows that I was WAY out of my comfort zone.  But here is what I know.  Everyone there, came to help out and gave their time and talents willingly.  So I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that anything that went home, will make its way back and it will all be okay, I don't need a check list or sign out sheet.  (It is good for me to get out of my comfort zone once in a while)

Time to check out everything that was going on that day.

 

Nancy was a good sport and didn't hide from the camera.  I asked her and Jan to help make backings for quilts I have ready to quilt at home.  Nancy decided she would measure and cut the fabric, and then pass them off to Jan to sew.

I happened to catch Jan just as she turned to ask Nancy a question. I meant to get another pic of her.... but I quickly learned that there was some camera dodging going on by the group.  Jan also ironed the backings after she got them sewn together.  This duo made 25 backings on Saturday.  It is so wonderful.  I have quilt tops married to backing material, and all I have to do is reach in and grab the next project to quilt.... SUCH A HUGE HELP TO ME!  I hate piecing backings, mainly because I don't do it well.
Margret came for the morning hours. And she tackled a huge tub of fabric that I had pulled out to make pillowcases with.  She sifted through the tub looking for pieces of fabric that could be married together to make a pillowcase.  This truly was a difficult task, I tried my hand at it and gave up.  I couldn't find the possible color combo's.

Celia was Margret's table partner.  Here is Celia and Joyce working on a backing for a quilt that Joyce donated.  It was cowboy themed...and as luck would have it I had enough yardage of red bandanna fabric that would work as a backing. Although working on a backing here, Celia spent most of the day kitting those pillow cases.  I know I have 25 here either in kits or sewn together already....and I know that several went home to be sewn together at home and returned.  So I would say we are probably a third of the way to our goal of 75 for the year.

Joyce also found a really cute piece of novelty fabric and made another adorable little fish quilt.  I can't wait to get it quilted.
Oh the humming coming from Lonnie's machine was constant! I just happened to catch her when someone was asking a question about the pattern.  Lonnie was working on one of the quilts that was kitted last fall by the Circle of Friends group.  In just a little over and hour we cut and kitted 35 of these quilts.  I think I have fewer than 10 left now.
Rozetta was working on the same kit as Lonnie.  They were having a good time chatting and sewing away.   Lonnie brought Sherry to help out the cause.

Sherry is working on one of the pillowcases that Margret had kitted.  Isn't it pretty and soft.  I found it interesting that Sherry decided that it was better to come to Iowa, instead of stay in Arizona.  Not sure if she moved here for good or only the winter.... but not the usual migration pattern for us Iowan's.  Either way she sewed up a storm for us and I am very grateful for her help.

Here is Carol trimming up all of the pieces of a pillowcase kit, so she can get it sewn together.  Carol has made every community sew day we have had, along with Joyce, Nancy and Kathy.  Special thanks to all of you ladies.

Somehow Kathy and Norma evaded my efforts to get their pictures... not sure how they accomplished that and I am really sad that they did.  Nevertheless they were there and worked hard on pillowcases and quilt tops.  

Kathy also had rescued a quilt top from a garbage can...the owner didn't like it and was going to throw it away.  She brought it and we found a backing that would work for it, the top and backing went back home with her. She volunteered to quilt it for us.

We had a great time with food and fellowship!  Oh the food! Jan brought a yummy potato soup, Lonnie brought brownies, Rozetta said she brought the salt, wait that was chips...there were  cookies and breakfast breads, cheese and beefstick slices.  Nobody went hungry that's for sure.

The only bad part about the day, and it was only bad for me, was when I went out to my car to try to find some brown fabric. (the trunk is full of fabric).  I managed to lock myself out of the library, and although I pounded on the door for 10 minutes everyone was to focused on what they were doing to hear my cries of help.  I finally walked to the quilt shop, did I mention I went out without my coat, and asked Jacque to call one of the gals on their cell phone to let me back in.

All and all it was a wonderful day! An I am so very thankful for all that shared their day with me and my little project.



1 comment: