Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Last post of 2015

It is really hard to believe that it has been three years since we started Iowa Comfort.

A group of volunteers, that donate their generous time and talents to bring a little warm and comfort to those in need in our community.  

That is what I like best about what I am doing, helping those within our own communities.

I have been busy working on quilts this past week.  This old dog even learned a new trick.  After years of people trying to teach me to machine bind.... I have finally mastered the techique well enough that I plan on using it frequently next year.


I have had this little quilt for a while now.  I was afraid to get it quilted because of the embellishments on the Sue Bonnet blocks.  The hat has a ribbon and a button. I took an afternoon and played with my computer program to find the right pattern and set up to miss those buttons and ribbons.  I was happy to get it completed and ready for donation.  I think I will send a puppy along with this little quilt.



Rozetta, pieced this quilt for Iowa Comfort.  I am ashamed to admit that I have had it waiting in the wings to be quilted for about 18 months now. I am thankful that she pieced it for us, and I know that it will be well loved by a small child.


This quilt is now finished also.  It is a double sliced layer cake.  We used fabrics that were donated by the ladies that attended Adel Quilting and Dry Goods 10 annual retreat. (they just had the 13 annual retreat.... )  That year everyone was asked to bring a 10 inch square in fall colors.  We have made several quilts from this donated fabric this year.  

Jan M donated the backing for this quilt and she also volunteered to bind it for me.  Actually she is the person that gave me that last little tip that allowed me to master machine binding this past week.


Jan also made this little quilt for a baby shower.  After I got it quilted for her she decided that the colors were not quite what the mother to be had asked for.  So she went home made another on and donated this one to Iowa Comfort.


Jan brought along 7 yards of flannel for donation when she dropped of the above quilt.  I have a special project in mind for that flannel.... but more about that next week.

As the year ends I want to thank all of my volunteers for everything they do for Iowa Comfort.  With out all of you we would not be able to help those that need our warmth and comfort.

I look forward to the coming year, expanding and modifing our mission just slightly.

Please drive safe during this winter weather event.


No comments:

Post a Comment