Tuesday, December 15, 2015

overflowing scrap basket

When I am in the quilt room, sometimes I get a piece of fabric that is thin or I just can not imagine how I am going to use it.

Often it may be a small piece left over from another project or part of a panel.

These types of scraps go into a basket that sits to the right of my sewing machine.  Well that basket has been overflowing for about a month.  So this week I decided it was time to do something with it.


Here are three doggy beds that will be donated to AHeinz 57 today.

https://www.facebook.com/AHeinz57Pets/videos/905188332851214/?theater

I hope that link works.  At about the 27 second mark there is one of our beds being used to provide comfort to rescued dogs.  Amy and crew do such a good job.  In this season of giving, please think about remembering them.  



Here is the other project I worked on yesterday fresh off the long arm.  These are those scrap pieces I was talking about earlier.

Originally I had planned on the green fabric being the back to this little project.  So I spent time at Open Sew this past week, creating a pieced (CRAZY) top.  I got just a little carried away with my piecing and the top became the back.  I also had to add a little more fabric to the green to truly maximize the backing.  No I didn't want to start putting scraps back into that basket already.


These are the size battings that I piece together for the doggy quilts.  
Tonight I will be squaring up and preparing these pieces for the next doggy quilt.  They are just the left over batting from other Iowa Comfort projects.   No I really don't throw much away.

https://www.facebook.com/AHeinz57Pets/videos/905188332851214/?theater

These quilts are made with the intention that they will be used in the puppy pools or cages.  As you can see in the above video, regular blankets bunch up.... our puppy quilts tend to lay flatter because of the multiple layers.  I have been told they work really well.

Not sure if I will have a post next week as things are getting a little crazy around here.  We will see how it goes.

Wishing you all Merry Christmas, filled with love and family.



No comments:

Post a Comment