Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Darn ground hog!

I have to tell you that it has been tough coming back from the Caribbean to this past weeks weather!

Then that darned old ground hog said that we were going to have another 6 weeks of winter.  Kind of got me down, and I put my little mind to work.

I do better with challenges, and since I am going to be inside because of the weather, I thought maybe a sewing challenge.

The centers director recently shared with me their need for pillowcases.  They use them for not only pillowcases, but to distribute school supplies, personal hygiene products and many other purposes.

So I asked the direct question, "How many pillowcases could realistically use in a year?"

I was not prepared for the answer.  The center will use at least 250 pillowcases this year.  Johnna told me that if they had the supply they could probably use 500.  With the supply they would not have to ration their use.

Now I just don't have it in me to ask for the full 500. Somehow that seems greedy to me.  But..... I am going ask for your help, and set a goal of 250 pillowcases by April 1.  That groundhog said it was going to be winter for 6 more weeks!

Yes I know that is a lofty goal, I am hoping we can make it.  Every pillowcase beyond 250 will be a happy blessing.

SO the question is how will we manage to obtain this goal.  I can only see one way.  Well besides sewing of course.... that is asking you to share with your group of friends.  Do you have quilting buddies?  Could you organize a small get together?  What about church groups?  How about starting a challenge at work?

What are the rules for the pillowcases?  They are pretty simple... we just need pillowcases.  They can be all one fabric, they can be ugly, they can be cute, they can be flannel or 100% cotton.  They need to be standard size.  You can Google pillowcase video's and find directions if you need to.

So go through your stash, and find that fabric that needs to be used and make a pillowcase.  

I think you can make one in about 10 minutes start to finish.  And if you can't find any fabric that you can't part with from your stash.... here is your solution.


Jacque at Adel Quilting and Dry Goods has sale fabric!  She put together some possible pairings for us.  So you could help out two organizations at once.  Help out the center by providing a pillow case, help Jacque move some fabric off the sale shelf.

Adel Quilting continues to be a drop off point for Iowa Comfort.  So you can feel free to drop off your finished pillowcases there.  Of course you can give me a call or email me at Debralsemmens@hotmail.com and we can work out a time for dropping them off here.  Your third option would be to mail them to me at:

Iowa Comfort
PO BOX 615
De Soto Iowa 50069

If you are doing a single pillowcase the postage should be minimal.

So there you have it.  250 pillowcases in 6 weeks.  I think we can do it!  I hope we can do it.

Please help, and remember that all of our donations remain in 10 counties in Iowa.  Over half those counties are considered some of the lowest income counties in Iowa.  

A single pillow case will make a difference!  Thanks for even thinking about accepting this challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment