Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The first of our completed Asian quilts

I just have to share what a wonderful time I had at my FIRST ever quilt retreat this past weekend.  I learned so much.... top on that list is that I over packed.  Thanks so much to everyone there for making it a grand experience!

I did work on several projects for Iowa Comfort.  I got three of the Christmas lap quilts pieced together.  I hope to get those on the long arm later this week or next.  ( I came home with a slight fever so I am taking it easy for a few days.)  

I worked on the Holy Scrap quilt also.  Sunday morning was spent getting all of the 2.5 inch strips sewn together.  I will get them pressed tonight for the next step.  Here is the link to Jacque's blog if you want to make one.

  http://www.adelquilting.blogspot.com/p/wait-until-you-have-good-assortment-of.html

Before I left for retreat I quilted two of the three Asian quilts that have been returned from the community sew day.

This fabric for these Asian quilts were donated by Fon's and Porter.

This quilt was pieced by Kathy B. for me. It was started at the community sew day, and finished a couple of weeks later.  I finally got it on the longarm.  



Here I am at Quilt Circle asking for suggestions on the binding of this quilt.  I am still using donated fabric....and didn't quite have enough of one color.


So I followed the advise of my quilting buddies, and used a black/grey Asian fabric for all but one strip of binding.  That last strip was a cream colored fabric.  Of course silly me didn't get a pic that showed that corner.  I placed that cream fabric over the darkest corner of the quilt.  It was a nice contrast.

This quilt was pieced by Jackie O. she asked if I had a kit she could work on at home.  I was so glad that she did because my math was off and I needed to add more fabric to the kits to get a bed size quilt.


The good news was that because this quilt was just a little smaller, I had the perfect green Asian fabric to use for the binding.

Both of these quilts were delivered to the center last week.  There was a lot of OOOOHHHH and AAAHHHING going on when they came out of the basket.  I was told that they would be put aside for just the right person.  They loved  how colorful and rich these quilts were.

I was in my closet and realized that I have another Asian top that was pieced by Joyce S. down there.  It will be first on the longarm this week. 

Thank you Colleen for thinking about Iowa Comfort when donating fabric from Fon's and Porter.  That fabric is making beautiful quilts.

Thank you Kathy B. and Jackie O. for piecing these tops for us. I can't tell you how nice it is to quilt a top that has been pieced by an experienced quilter.  Makes the long arming so much easier!

Stop back next week for more finished projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment