Saturday, April 21, 2012

Iowa Comfort Quilts 26 & 27

Earlier this week I attended my monthly quilt meeting.  It is called Circle of Friends and it is hosted by Jacque Johnson owner of Adel Quilting and Dry Goods.  I wasn't really feeling like going, the week before hectic and sad.....but I felt like I needed to get back into my own routine, and Circle of Friends is part of that routine.

It was tough because people just reached out and hugged me, offered condolences and anything else they could.....and I did a really poor job of staying strong.  I made it through the night and I was really glad to have the fellowship of my friends.

While I was away, Jacque accepted three completed quilts for Iowa Comfort.  I'm going to show you the first two today, and then the third one tomorrow.

These quilts were donated by Wanda Hickey.  She did all of the work on them and they came to me ready to be donated to the center.

Lets take a look.


I recognize so many of the fabrics in this quilt!  In fact I have several of them waiting to go into a comfort quilt soon.  So much fun.....and I love the binding on it.  Wanda used up all the left overs from other quilt bindings.  Silly me, I thought I was the only one that kept that 16 inch by 2.5 strip of left over binding, now I know better there is at least Wanda and I that do it.


Here is a closer look at the quilt.  You can see on the left hand side the binding going from a yellow floral ( I think I have 5 yards of that fabric in my closet) to black.  I notice that there is some ISU fabric in this quilt..... how fun is this quilt for left over fabric.

Here comes quilt 27


I love quilts that are red, white and black!  This little quilt is going to bring such pleasure to whoever receives it at the center.  It might make its way to a little person at the center, or may be a lap quilt for an adult.


Here is a close up of the quilting.  Cross hatching, so lovely.  I someday hope to be able to cross hatch a quilt, it is on my bucket list.....it appears to me that Wanda has mastered the skill.


One last picture today.  Both of the quilts above have this really soft and warm fabric as the backing.

These quilts will be delivered at the end of April or first week in May depending on when I can make arrangements to get together with staff.  I have a STRONG feeling that they will probably be in the hands of someone needing a little extra TLC within days of their arrival at the center.

Once again thank you so much Wanda for your generosity, I know your quilts will bring a smile to several people in the very near future.





No comments:

Post a Comment