Saturday, April 6, 2013

How's that working out for you?

Ah life is full of lessons!  Over the last year, I think one of the lessons I was suppose to learn was to be flexible.

I am one of those A type personalities  I do very well with my lists.  Each night before I go to bed I create that mental list of the following days goals.

This week I could hear my west coast sisters asking me "And how is that working out for you?"  I had a goal of quilting 6 customer quilts this past week and one Iowa Comfort quilt.

Last Saturday morning I had a glitch in Fonzie, and he was stuck in the perpetual loop.  Of course it happened on a weekend and customer service was out of the office.  Monday morning I called and explained my problem to them..... and I am pretty sure I could hear them scratching their heads.  Because Fonzie is still in beta testing they wanted to try to recreate the problem so they could figure out if it was a random problem or something that was going to need to be fixed in all models.  

I understood that when I bought Fonzie that he was a new product, and that I was a beta tester....but I had six quilts on the books for this week!

No quilting on Monday, so what is a girl to do? I could have cleaned up that mess that I showed you on Tuesday..... not!  Well I did get the batting put away, but the fabric is still all over the book case waiting to be put away.

I decided to tackle my car.  Yes, my back seat has bolts of fabric in them that I took to a charity sew day and never made its way back into the house.  And I thought I only had 1 sack of fabric left in the trunk...that's true but there were also 2 boxes of fabric in there.

I brought one box in to the house and started sorting it out.  Much of the fabric was not cotton, and could not be used in quilts....some of it was even stained.  This kind of fabric gets ear marked for projects for the dog shelter in town.

Large pieces are cut down into smaller chunks of fabric to make dog pillows out of.



I actually cut 8 doggy beds out of that fabric.  Here they are all lined up after I sewed three of their four sides together.  The last side is left open for stuffing.
Here is the current bag, it is only partially stuffed.  All those little piece of left over batting or pieces of fabric that are just to small to quilt with end up here.
And one that is completed.  See how thin that fabric was.... I can see the colors of the stuffing, but the puppies won't mind at all!  

The rest of the box contained smaller poly fabric and chunks of small batting, so I spent some time chopping!
That bag is 3 1/2 foot tall.  My rotary cutter got a good work out that day!  I would cut & dump and then squash down the contents in that bag.  When the bag is full, I have enough stuffing material to stuff 2 pillows.

Tuesday is errand day, so I didn't have a lot of time to worry about Fonzie.  Wednesday I talked to my local dealer and got a loaner.  By 11:00 I was back up and quilting.  

As of 5:00 last night I had 5 of my 6 quilts quilted.  The six quilt I will do over the weekend.   That leaves next week to work on the  Iowa Comfort quilt.  Next week is the week before my cruise... so I have several other things to do....but the goal is to get a twin quilted before I leave!

Lesson of the week?  Be flexible enough to just shuffle the things on your to do list... and it will all work out!

Have a great weekend everyone!

PS.  Customer service did call back to help me out.  I made them wait until yesterday afternoon.  I was quilting and wasn't going to stop until I had that last customer quilt done!

No comments:

Post a Comment