Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Special wish of Comfort

I know (or at least I hope) all of the quilts we have made bring a touch of warmth and comfort to those who receive them.... but I really hope that the little girl that gets comfort quilt #46 feels the love when she gets it.

First I want to tell you a little bit about how this quilt came to be, and then I will tell you where it is headed.

As most of you know this year has been a tough on for me, and doing the comfort quilts has been a blessing....and sometimes it feels consuming.

Lynne Mulder decided to host a charity sew day with a group of online quilting buddies, with the tops coming to Iowa Comfort earlier this year.  

Deb Steere is one of the ladies that showed up to help out that day, and she brought a ton of fabric to donate also.

Sandy Olson, another member of our online group, was drawn to a red, white, pink and lime green jelly roll that Deb had donated.  She decided that she would do the 1600 quilt with the jelly roll.  Sandy prefers not to have the diagonal splice between the ends, so she cut 2.5 inch pink squares to put between each strip of fabric.  And started sewing the ends together.  I had to head back home early afternoon. So I finished sewing the body of the top together at an one open sew about a month ago, but I didn't bring enough border to finish one border... so the quilt sat waiting for me to get back to it.

About two weeks ago I got a call from Jackie Orton.  She belongs to the same online group, and we are both members of a local quilt group.  Jackie is also very involved with the local school alumni.  One of the school's alumni has a preteen daughter that is battling cancer, and is undergoing chemo in Iowa City.  The alumni group was hoping to get a comfort quilt made up for her and contacted Jackie (because she is quilty!), Jackie and I spoke and we knew this quilt belong to this little girl.

Jackie took the quilt home to finish putting the last of the borders on it.  Nancy Hagelberg, quilted the quilt using meandering hearts. The quilt was then passed off to Joyce Scott who finished the binding on it, and the quilt was given back to Jackie Orton for the label to be attached.  Oh yes.... Nancy and Joyce are both members of that famous online group, and the local quilt group.

So as close as I can remember 7 people had a hand in making this special quilt, and I have to think that maybe there was a little help in timing from above.... so that this quilt went to the right person.




Here are a couple of pictures of the quilt finished.  I think it turned out beautiful, and I hope that it truly brings comfort to the child going through this difficult time! 

Jackie created a very touching label for the quilt, I chose not to show it here to maintain the privacy of the child receiving the quilt.

As I sit here and write this post, I realize that my year hasn't been all that tough....and there was a reason I was drawn to create Iowa Comfort.  

A special thanks to all that had a hand in the creation of this quilt.

My Christmas wish is for a full and speedy recovery for the little girl who received this quilt.



2 comments:

  1. Very cool, Deb and all involved. The Reason for the Season is spelled out right here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilters are the BEST folks! So very giving and always thinking of others! :)

    ReplyDelete