Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First quilt of the new year

So here it is the first post of the new year.....and I am 12 hours late posting it.  Life just gets in the way sometimes.

Most recently a nice little viral infection got in the way.  I babysat Little Owen last Friday when he wasn't feeling well enough to go to the daycare, I also had him New Years eve so his parents could go out and have some fun.  Not exactly sure when he shared his little virus with me, but he did.  Saturday night I had a fever and chills, I slept 36 hours straight. Sunday is a mere blur....but then again I was only conscious 6 hours of it.  I thought Monday I was getting better...at least there was no fever but I still took it easy.

This morning I got up and I have a scratchy throat, and a nice little cough.  I did manage to will myself into the shower, so at least I am a little fresher now.  

And then I remember it is Tuesday....and I didn't have a post in the que to auto-post.  I didn't even have the quilt photographed yet. Panic sets in and then I remember this year's resolution is to not freak out, and take a more leisurely pace with Iowa Comfort. So yes this post is late, and I am sorry, I will try to do better in the future.

Before I got sick this past weekend I did manage to quilt the first quilt of the new year for Iowa Comfort.



 Here the quilt is just waiting for it's label, and the corresponding paper work to be completed.

I am 90% sure that this top was donated by Jacque from the Adel Quilt Shop.  I vaguely remember her giving it to me and saying that it had been a sample for a strip club project they were working on. And I recognize so many of those beautiful fabrics.

I think it will make a great quilt for an older child to snuggle in.  I could see a tweener cuddled underneath it in front of the TV.



Such a simple block made out black and white fabrics, with that little splash of color.  I love quilts that go together quickly and yet have that pop of color!

With it being the new year, I know that Jacque has all kinds of new projects on the books, including strip club so make sure to head over to her website to see if anything calls out to you. Here is a link to her website http://www.adelquilting.com/

I broke one of my own rules with this quilt.  I vowed I was not going to be picky about what I used as backing material....even if I had to piece it together.  But this quilt screamed that it needed a red backing ( I know! I know)  I headed off to Jacque's to find a red backing, and I couldn't find one that was just right.... but the purple backing kept calling my name and it is what I took home.

There was enough backing left over that I could use it as binding also, always a plus! 

I love the finished quilt, and I have no doubt whoever gets it will love it also.

The plan for the rest of the week is to work on a bedsize quilt for the center, and to get a couple of pillowcases sewn up for them also.  We will see how that works out.....

Thank you Jacque for all of your support of Iowa Comfort! 

Until next week stay warm! Only 67 days until March 15th...and then you know spring will be just around the corner.




No comments:

Post a Comment