Once I started to quilt it I realized it truly was a quilt of a different era. Those hexi patches are made from scrap pieces of clothing, or other fabric. There was polyester, knit and cotton fabric in this top. I love tops like this, where quilters made due with what they had... and re-purposed fabric once it had completed it's initial function.
Nancy H. generously offered to bind it for me, and I picked it back up from her this last Monday night. It was donated to the center on Friday.
As long as I am showing you one of Dottie's completed quilts... I think I will show you the one I took off the longarm on Thursday.
I am still looking for a binding for this quilt. When this donation originally came in, there were several sheets donated also. I have used those sheets as backing (trying to stay as close to Dottie's vision as I could). The backing is a soft green, blue, yellow and cream colored print. The print is a large floral print. I know it doesn't sound like the two would go together.... but they do. Infact this quilt could be reversible. Either side will be beautiful on a bed.
I am leaning towards just a plain muslin binding on it, or maybe a soft green or brown. I'll have to hit the fabric bins to see what will work.
Looking for binding will have to wait until Monday. I have Owen this weekend, and this grandma is going to spend her time playing!
Have a great weekend everyone!