Saturday, June 29, 2013

# 99 !!!

It is hard to believe isn't it?  Through our collective generosity we have just completed quilt # 99.

This quilt is the last quilt top that was donated by my dear friend Marcia.  As a refresher Marcia has a group up in the Belmond area that quilts for charity.  But up until just recently they stuck with smaller projects, that were easily quilted on a domestic sewing machine.  So when her group received a donation of  7 bed size quilt tops from Joann she asked if she could send them to us.  

Joann had donated the tops that her sister had made prior to her unexpected passing.  

You can see the other 6 quilts in the 2013 photo gallery, they are the log cabin quilts that I have been working on.

Lets take a look at the last one.

This last quilt that Janis made was a little different.  The setting is a scrappy pinwheel design.  Now the quilt looks like it was made with large half square triangles..... but looks are deceiving!  Actually each one of those half square triangles have 8 strips of fabric in them, each strip foundation pieced to a square of muslin.



If you look hard you can see the seams in the close up of these blocks.

This top was heavy to the touch when I got it, and I thought about not putting a batting in it when I  quilted it.  In the end I did to make sure there wasn't any color bleed through to the backing material.

This quilt will probably not be used in the summer time.... it is warm!  It was all I could do to get it bound this last week....I kept rearranging the quilt so I wouldn't be so warm! 

I hope that Janis is smiling down knowing that her patchwork is completed and providing comfort to someone in need.

Thanks to Marcia and Joann for allowing me to complete Janis projects and donate them to the center.


No comments:

Post a Comment