Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Window Pane from Jean V

This beautiful quilt has been with me for quite a while now.  It is a large queen size quilt, and I just never had the right backing for it.

I love working on Jean's donations.  Always scrappy and beautiful.

I sat and tried to figure out how to recreate the pattern using florals.  I was not sucessful, which lead me to a few minutes on pinterest....okay so it was more like an hour before I pulled myself away.  Jean if you have a pattern, please let me know who the publisher is so I can order it.  I know I am just making it way to complex, and my math skills are lacking lately.


Now I told you that I have had the top for a very long time. I didn't have a large enough piece of fabric for the backing.  Well I still didn't....but I made myself a promise that I was going to get all of the quilt tops quilted prior to my surgery.  So I had to make do.


So this was my solution.  I almost had enough of the muted green for the backing...but I was a little short.  So I went ahead and pieced in some blue fabric to make the backing.  I centered the blue in the middle section of backing.... and tried to get the top centered when I quilting it.  I was close....but not perfect.  

Then I fretted over the binding.  I looked through my stash for over a week, trying to find just the right fabric, one that would do the top justice.

On about day 10 it dawned on me what fabric I should use.  How about the blue that I used in the backing?  It worked perfectly.

Now I think this quilt is really special.  And I am going to be really protective of it, I want it to go to someone that will truly apreciate all of Jean's love and hard work that went into creating it.

I have been in contact with Dallas and Madison county Dept of Human Services.  I have given them my name and number.  The hope is that when a local youth ages out of foster care, that Iowa Comfort can provide them with a warm bed size quilt for their new home.

So for right now this one will stay close, until I get the call.

Hope you all have a wonderful week, and make sure to stay warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment